The sciatic nerve starts at your lower back and runs down through your leg. If you’re experiencing sciatica, this is the area where you will feel the most pain. Sciatic pain can be intense, and your lower back can take a major beating. It’s important to recognize sciatic pain so that you can quickly begin treating the condition.
The most common symptoms of sciatica include:
- Sudden, severe pain in your low back or leg
- Muscle weakness in your leg
- Numbness or tingling in your leg
- Pain lessens when you lay down
- Pain around the mid-buttock area
- Pins and needles sensation in the leg
- Pain when bending
- Trouble controlling your bowels or bladder
It’s also possible that sciatic pain could be the result of an underlying issue such as a herniated disc in your spine. This is an issue you want to be sure to identify as early as possible to prevent long-term problems.
It’s important that if you are feeling pain in the area described above, you seek professional medical help before it turns into something more serious. Properly treating your sciatic pain will greatly enrich your ability to enjoy life! Book an appointment with us so our doctors can help you get on that path.